Town Clerk & Tax Collector

Dog Licenses

Dog Licenses can be processed online at-

State of Maine Dog Licensing Online Purchasing & Renewal Service

or in-person at the office.

Dog licensing ensures rabies vaccination, which protects the health of your pet.
Maine State law requires dogs over 6 months of age to be licensed.  Dog licenses expire on December 31st each year.  Per State Law, a $25 late fee will be imposed upon all dog licenses renewed after January 31st.

The current dog license fee, without the late fees are:

  • $6.00 for spayed or neutered dogs; and
  • $11.00 for unaltered male or female dogs

When you license your dog, you must present a Certificate of Rabies Vaccination, which must show that the immunization is effective at time of licensure.  For dogs vaccinated in other states, a certificate of immunization consistent with the requirements of the National Association of State Public Health Veterinarians in effect at the time of licensure will be considered acceptable.

The first time you license your pet, please bring a neutering certificate if the dog has been neutered or spayed.


Hunting and Fishing License
Hunting and Fishing Licenses can be purchased online at-
or in-person at the office.
Note: Belmont residents only.
Residents must meet all these requirements to be eligible to purchase a resident hunting or fishing license: Must be domiciled in Maine continuously for three months prior to applying for the license; must be in compliance with Maine Income Tax Laws; if licensed to drive, must have made application for or possess a Maine Drivers license; all motor vehicles owned by applicant and located in Maine must be registered in Maine; and if registered to vote, applicant must be registered to vote in a Maine town. Applicant must comply all the rules mandated by the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife.
New: Must bring evidence of a previous hunting (or archery) license or proof of completion of Maine Hunter Safety Course.


The Town Clerk’s Office is responsible for the permanent storage of all vital records (i.e. birth, marriage and death records). Individuals may request certified copies of a vital record from the Clerk’s Office for a fee of:

  • $15.00 for the first copy; and
  • $6.00 for each additional copy of the same record 
Marriage License
Persons wishing to be married in the State of Maine must apply for a marriage license from the Town Clerk's office.  Residents of the State of Maine intending to be joined in a marriage shall record notice of their intentions in the office of the Clerk of the municipality in which at least one of them resides.  If only one party resides in the State, the parties shall record notice of their intentions in the office of the Clerk of the municipality which the resident resides.  If both parties to a marriage reside outside the State, they must file intentions in any municipal office.  Once the intentions are filed and the license is issued the parties are free to marry anywhere within Maine.
If either party has been previously married, he or she must submit with the application a certified copy of the divorce decree or annulment of the last marriage or the death certificate of the last spouse.  If both parties have been previously married, they both must submit the certificates or certified copies.  Marriage licenses cannot be issued without this documentation.

There is no waiting period in Maine.  After the notice of intentions of marriage has been filed the Clerk will issue the license, which is valid for 90 days from the date the intentions were filed.

The fee for a marriage application is $40.  Following the ceremony the license is permanently filed with the Town Clerk of the municipality in which it was originally issued.  Certified copies can be obtained from the Clerk for a fee of $15 for the first copy and $6 for each additional copy issued at the same time.


Boat Registration

Boat registrations can be processed online at-

Boat Registration Renewal Online Service (

or in-person at the office.

New: Please bring bill of sale and Maine registration numbers (if already on boat and previously registered in Maine by prior owner). State sales tax on purchase price will be collected on private sale. Dealerships collect sales tax at time of purchase and provide you with an invoice. You will need to bring this at the time of registration.

Renewals: Excise is computed on boat's age, length, and engine horsepower. The Inland Fisheries fees are based on the horsepower of the motor. ALL BOAT REGISTRATIONS EXPIRE ON DEC. 31.

All Boats (residents and non-residents) that are used in freshwaters are required to have the lake protection (milfoil) sticker.


Property Taxes

Real Estate and Personal Property: Taxes are due by October 31st.

Interest will be charged at a 6% interest rate on the unpaid balance after those dates. Please include your bill or your account number with your payment to assure proper credit to your account.


Vehicle Excise Tax and Registration

Vehicles and trailer re-registrations can be processed online at-

Rapid Renewal | Vehicle & Trailer Registration Renewal Service (

or in-person at the office. New registrations still have to be processed in person at the office.

In order to re-register your vehicle, we need the previous registration, proof of insurance and current mileage. We can process limited new registrations. This applies if the vehicle has been purchased from a Maine licensed dealer. Please bring the following:

1. Proof of paid sales tax
2. Blue copy of title application
3. Previous registration of vehicle being traded or sold to which plates are being transferred
4. Proof of insurance
5. Current mileage

The State of Maine does not send reminder notices for vehicle registration renewals. Also please remember to check your inspection sticker each year.


ATV and Snowmobile Registrations 

ATV and Snowmobile registrations can be processed online at-

IFW ATV & Snowmobile Registration | Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife (

or in-person at the office.

ATV's and Snowmobiles: In addition to renewals, we also process registrations for new ATV's and snowmobiles.

A bill of sale is needed, and a 5.5% sales tax on the purchase price will be collected on private sales. Dealerships collect sales tax at time of purchase and provide you with proof of sales tax being paid (invoice). You will need to bring this at the time of registration. The resident snowmobile and ATV registration fee is $45.00. A $2.00 agent fee will be charged for new registrations and $1.00 for renewals.


Voter Registration
In order to vote, you must be a United States citizen, live in Maine, be at least 18 years old and be registered to vote in the municipality where you live.  You may register at the Belmont Town Office during regular business hours, through any Motor Vehicle branch office.  You may also register at the polls on Election Day.  Proof of residency and proof of identity is required, such as a driver's license or State ID card with your current street address on it (not a post office box).  If your driver's license or photo ID does not have your current street address, you should also bring something with your Belmont address on it such as a utility bill or bank statement.

All Local, State & Federal elections are administered and supervised by the Town Clerk.  The Annual Municipal Election is held on the 3rd Monday in March.


Absentee Ballots

Citizens who are unable to vote at the polling place on Election Day may vote by absentee ballot.  You may request and absentee ballot from the Town Clerk's office by:

  • Telephone request for your own ballot application.  A ballot will be mailed to the address you provide the Town Clerk.
  • Written request by completing an absentee ballot application.  This application can be mailed, faxed or delivered in person to the Town Clerk.
  • You can also obtain a ballot for an immediate family member by written request.   A ballot will be mailed to the voter directly or to the immediate family member making the request.  Immediate family member includes:  spouse, parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, sister, brother, step-parent, step-grandparent, step-child, step-grandchild, step-sister, step-brother, mother-in-law, father-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, or guardian.